Subject: Re: Ultra5 - adding a second drive
To: None <rmk@rmkhome.com>
From: Andy Isaacson <adi@hexapodia.org>
List: port-sparc64
Date: 10/27/2002 18:05:49
On Sun, Oct 27, 2002 at 04:59:25PM -0700, Rick Kelly wrote:
> I have an Ultra5/270 with 128megs of memory and a 4 gig drive. I can see that
> I need to add more memory and more disk space.
>
> What will this box take as a second drive? Anybody tried adding one?

Most standard IDE drives should work.  Depending on the firmware vintage
you might need to upgrade to support drives larger than 8 GB -- the
original firmware on a system with a 4GB drive probably needs upgrading.

You can find the firmware upgrade instructions on http://docs.sun.com.

> Also, I have a Symbios 53C875J PCI card which I could stick in there. Would
> that be supported?

It is supported in NetBSD.

It *might* be supported by OpenFirmware; there are cards with that
chipset that are supported by the Ultra5/10 firmware.  I don't know
offhand if that support is intrinsic to the onboard firmware, or if you
would need a specialty 53cXXX card with OF in ROM.

It can't hurt to try it out.

-andy