Subject: Re: X11 and pixels in images
To: None <port-sparc64@netbsd.org>
From: Jed Davis <jldavis+netbsdlist@cs.oberlin.edu>
List: port-sparc64
Date: 10/19/2002 02:28:21
On Fri, Oct 18, 2002 at 11:05:04PM -0700, Greywolf wrote:

> On Sat, 19 Oct 2002, Lloyd Parkes wrote:
>
> # I have an Ultra 10 and so I have to use NetBSD/i386 based PCs as X
> # terminals. This must be a fairly normal configuration for PCI based
> # UltraSPARC owners. There is an endian problem that causes images to
> # come out with a yellow tint (xRGB is mistaken for BGRx and with only
> # red and green channels, everything looks yellow).
>
> Funnily enough, I don't get this problem with my SS5, but I have had it
> happen.
>
> ULTRALinux/sparc would behave the same way natively, I might add...

The last time I had anything to do with it, at least Debian on sparc64
used a 32-bit userland (64-bit kernel, though), so 64-bit-unclean user
programs/libraries wouldn't be broken there.

And speaking of libXpm and sparc64: was the bug I found a little while
ago (and never got around to reporting; oops), where PutPixel32()
dereferences a 4-byte aligned unsigned long*, the same as the one
referenced two posts up?

--Jed    (bugs which manifest only on a LE Xserver are fun!)

(Although, given that I encountered it in pkgsrc emacs21, I should
just be glad the library was dynamic...)

--
<?xml version="1.0"?>  <?xml-stylesheet href="http://panix.com/~jdev/xs/txt.xsl"
type="text/xsl"?>   <sig name="Jed Davis">  <id dom="oberlin.edu" lp="sjld8197">