Subject: Re: siop hang on install
To: Frank Cusack <fcusack@fcusack.com>
From: Martin Husemann <martin@duskware.de>
List: port-sparc64
Date: 10/06/2002 14:06:23
On Sat, Oct 05, 2002 at 06:29:38PM -0700, Frank Cusack wrote:
> Trying to install netbsd-1.6 from miniroot, and I'm getting

On what machine?

>   siop2 at pci2 dev 2 function 0: Symbios Logic 53c875 (ultra-wide scsi)
>   siop2: using on-board RAM
>   siop2: interrupting at ivec 0
                               ~~~
Hmm, is it supposed to do that?

On my U60 I get:

siop0: interrupting at ivec 20
siop1: interrupting at ivec 26

> The card works fine under Solaris, but will not work under netbsd.

What are the OF .properties of the PCI card?

> Hangs like this make me think this won't work.

It's easier to cope with a hanging controller when it worked at all - at
autoconfig time most drivers do not take much attempts to cope with unexpected
situations, they just bail out (leaving the device unconfigured).

Now you obviously caught it in a bad place, where it things it can handle the
controller, but the thread initialising the scsi bus later finds out it realy
can't.

What happens after the command timeout? Realy nothing? That would be a serious
bug, of course.

Martin