Subject: Re: Question about Ultra 30 lack of video support
To: Sageev George <sageev@bmsrs.usc.edu>
From: grant beattie <grant@netbsd.org>
List: port-sparc64
Date: 07/17/2002 15:59:19
On Tue, Jul 16, 2002 at 07:52:34PM -0700, Sageev George wrote:

> I am thinking about installing NetBSD on an Ultra 30.  I noticed in the
> Install Notes that the Video Device that I'm using (Creator 3D framebuffer)
> is not supported.
>
> Does this mean that after I begin booting from a CD-ROM or over the net,
> that there will be a point at which there is nothing on the screen?  Or
> does it mean that after booting, there will only be a text-mode?

Sageev,

Any device which can be used by the PROM as a console device will work
in NetBSD as a console device, but you will not be able to run X on
a Creator (ffb) framebuffer. You can also use a serial port as a
console device.

The only frame buffer supported by X on sparc64 is the TGX series
(cg6), which is an sbus card (which is not much use in an Ultra 30).

> I may try installing from Solaris, or I might try using a CD-ROM.

Installing from CD is not supported on sparc64 as yet.

Installation via miniroot (from Solaris) is probably easiest, followed
by netbooting.

grant.