Subject: Re: Ultra 1 problems (maybe hardware)
To: Sung-Won Chung <swchung7@hotmail.com>
From: Andy Isaacson <adi@hexapodia.org>
List: port-sparc64
Date: 06/27/2002 10:02:59
On Thu, Jun 27, 2002 at 01:37:14PM +0900, Sung-Won Chung wrote:
> When the power is on, monitor remains black, although
> power connection, keyboard, and monitor has no problem.
>
> Is this Ultra 1 operating in serial console mode in spite of
> connected keyboard and FFB ?
> If then, how can I set up Ultra 1 to use keyboard and monitor ?

If the 'output-device' variable is set correctly, then the machine will
use serial console and ignore the framebuffer.  Do the keyboard LEDs
flash when the machine is powered on?  If so, you can try waiting about
20 seconds after power-on, then type Stop-A (That means, hold down the
key labelled "Stop", and press A), then type "setenv output-device
screen", then "reset".  Of course you're typing blind, so don't make any
mistakes. :)  If there was no PROM password, you may be rewarded with a
normal console bootup.

You could also set up a serial console, but I presume that's difficult
if you're asking this question -- if my suggestion above doesn't help,
you'll probably have to get a serial console somehow to test the system.
You can force the system to use serial console by unplugging the
keyboard before powering up.

-andy