Subject: re: Ultra1 now fine
To: matthew green <mrg@eterna.com.au>
From: ali \(Anders Lindgren\) <dat94ali@ludat.lth.se>
List: port-sparc64
Date: 04/24/2002 11:00:47
On Wed, 24 Apr 2002, matthew green wrote:

> i just built a small kernel with COMPAT_SUNOS as the only COMPAT_xx
> option and it linked happily.  julian, what errors do you see?

This seems like a good time to add to the fun; I built a sparc64 kernel
just yesterday (sources updated with cvs as of saturday, iirc) and
bumped into two immediate problems:

- without COMPAT_43, the kernel wouldn't link. This was not detected
  automagically by $TOOLDIR/bin/nbconfig, so something must've been
  wrong.

- fdtwo floppy device must not be configured, or the kernel won't even
  "nbmake depend". This appears to be a known issue; I found a post
  dated September'01 describing it, giving me the impression that
  it's simply b0rken on Sparc64.

The latter is of little interest since I don't plan on using any
floppys in my Ultra1 anyway, but the former made me curious.
I included compat options for sunos5 and 32bit netbsd/sparc but
that was about it. With compat43 in, the kernel appears to work
fine (or at least it's been running since last night). The system
still fails to build -- build.sh tries to build it using the old
compiler[0] instead of the new one it built itself using build.sh -t
so I am going to see if setting CC et al to force it into using
the new toolchain will improve things.

My source is a March 9 snapshot of current that I have since kept up
to date with cvs -dP.

[0] Binary snapshot from 2001-12-23. Compiler frequently SEGVs.

--
/ali
:wq