Subject: Re: Installing -current
From: ali \(Anders Lindgren\) <dat94ali@ludat.lth.se>
List: port-sparc64
Date: 04/19/2002 17:50:08
On 19 Apr 2002 eeh@netbsd.org wrote:

> | I was wondering what was the best way to install current. I have
> | a Ultra 1e creater with a SUNW,fas contoller which appears to be
> | supported in -currrent. I thought cross-building from my i386 box
> | and using that to install would be the easiest?
>
> The easiest way is to grab a recent INSTALL kernel and netboot it
> or stick cdimage.iso onto a cdrom and boot that, then use sysinst
> to snarf a snapshot over the net.

While on the topic of -current... I must've missed something. I grabbed
the (then) latest binary snapshot (2001-12-23) and installed on my
Ultra1 without problems (apart from sysinst looking for one kernel
package too many) and snarfed the (then) latest -current source
snapshot (from March 9, iirc). I've tried to compile a new kernel
and userland a few times since, but it keeps failing. Then I heard
that anoncvs hadn't been fed properly during some period of time,
and also realised I had been using the old "make" when trying to
build the -current kernel, so yesterday I did a cvs update -dP
on /usr/src, built the toolchain with build.sh -t and tried to
build the kernel using the new nbmake. However, things still fail
during make depend. I did:

$ cvs update -dP
$ less BUILDING  ;-)
$ export MKOBJDIRPREFIX=/usr2/build [0]
$ export TOOLDIR=/usr2/build
$ ./build.sh -t
$ cd /sys/arch/sparc64/conf && config ULTRA1 [1]
$ cd ../compile/ULTRA1
$ /usr2/build/bin/nbmake depend
[deletia]
[make depend fails on missing "fd.c" for "fdtwo" in /dev/sun]

In a long shot, I simply copied the fd.c file from the sparc dir
but of course this didn't work. If I omit fdtwo from the configuration
I might get further - I did last time when I was trying to build the
kernel using the 1.5.2 toolchain, but then it failed during the build
instead. I will try it again tonight with the new toolchain and without
the floppy driover, but I'd like to know if I am doing something wrong
here because it seems it just keeps failing.

[0] or whatever that variable is called; I forget.
[1] Realising as I type I used the old "config". Is this a problem?

--
/ali
:wq