Subject: FCode jiggery pokery
To: None <port-sparc64@netbsd.org>
From: Lloyd Parkes <lloyd@must-have-coffee.gen.nz>
List: port-sparc64
Date: 03/06/2002 15:12:12
I recently sent a message describing some code I put in my nvramrc to
get my Ultra 10 to recognise a Promise ULtra ATA-66 PCI card as an IDE
card. I have found some flaws in the code (that don't affect NetBSD).

The problem is that even though the PCI card is now correctly identified
as an IDE device, child nodes for attached disks are not created in the
OpenFirmware device tree. Solaris will not access devices that aren't in
the OF device tree.

NetBSD can be booted from the generic 'disk' child of the 'ide' node,
but Solaris seems to demand to be able to use the 'dad' child node. This
means that my nvram patch isn't as wonderful as I thought it was. I'm
going to have to dig a bit deeper.

Cheers,
Lloyd