Subject: help installing 20011205 snapshot on a sun blade 100
To: None <port-sparc64@netbsd.org>
From: Mike Haertel <mike@ducky.net>
List: port-sparc64
Date: 01/09/2002 20:24:56
I am trying to install the 20011205 snapshot on a sun blade 100.

Following the net boot instructions, I was able to boot the
netbsd.INSTALL.gz kernel over the network.  I found that the
USB keyboard didn't work, so I switched to use the serial port
as the console.

With the serial console, it made it to a shell in single
user mode and I am able to type commands.  It appears from
the console messages that it found the hard drive etc.

However, I need to do a network install.  So my first step was:

	ifconfig -a

to see what interfaces exist, and then:

	ifconfig gem0 inet 199.26.172.170 netmask 255.255.255.224

Using "tcpdump" on a remote machine, I was able to verify that
some arp packets went out.  Unfortunately, pinging the remote
machine didn't work.  With tcpdump, I can see that the packets
are being sent from the sun blade, but for some reason it isn't
getting the replies.

Furthermore, sun blade is clearly answering ARP requests, so it
looks like both packet ingress and egress are working at the device
driver level at least.

So I am wondering if there is something wrong higher in the
TCP stack?  Curiously enough, "ifconfig -a" subsequently displays
output indicating that the sun blade thinks its IP address is 0.0.0.0,
although it displays the correct netmask.

I am a long-time FreeBSD hacker, revisiting NetBSD for the first
time in years.  Could it be perhaps that NetBSD requires some
magic with ifconfig that I don't know about?

Thanks for any help,

	Mike Haertel
	mike@ducky.net