Subject: Install on Ultra 1
To: None <port-sparc64@netbsd.org>
From: Henry B. Hotz <hotz@jpl.nasa.gov>
List: port-sparc64
Date: 10/29/2001 11:26:37
I installed Solaris 8 on an Ultra 1 and every time I pointed the
included Netscape at a real web site (like www.sunsolve.sun.com) I
got booted back to the login screen.  I booted the 1.5.2 sparc64
miniroot and every time it tried to write to the disk  I got booted
back to the kernel debugger (and there was no stack to trace).

In fact I've done this three times and reinstalling Solaris 2.6 just
so I can install NetBSD is not fun.  I'm probably going to try 2.7
and leave it at that (if it works), but if anyone wants some
debugging that I can provide give a holler.

Since I don't think the boot prom can read miniroot.fs.gz and most
versions of Solaris don't bundle gzip it would be nice if you put
miniroot.fs instead of the gzipped version on the iso image.  I put
it on another machine and ftp'ed it back for the second and third
attempt.  If it were just there it would save a step, but not as big
a step as if the image were bootable.  (I'm sure you have all heard
this before.)

Background:  UltraSPARC 143MHz, 2GB internal disk, 128MB memory, OpenBoot 3.25.

I'm on the macppc list, but not this one.  Please cc me directly with