Subject: Re: Booting U2 with 1.5Y from CDROM?
To: None <eeh@netbsd.org, stolz@hyperion.informatik.rwth-aachen.de>
From: None <eeh@netbsd.org>
List: port-sparc64
Date: 10/24/2001 16:35:57
| On Wed, Oct 24, 2001 at 03:19:21PM -0000, eeh@netbsd.org wrote:
| > | I read that I need the 1.5Y file (image?) to boot our Ultra2
| > | (right now it stops shortly after booting with a few lines
| > | containing [ID]LTB, or whatever). Is this a bootable image?
| > | Or do I have to do some mksunbootcd-magic to get it to work?
| >
| > What 1.5Y image?  The only bootable ISO image I know about is
| > 1.5X.
|
| You're right, I noticed my mixup. 1.5Y is a kernel.
| So how do I boot & install a Ultra-2 from CDROM which will freeze
| with the above messages after booting the 1.5.2 release sparc64 image?

In order to create a working cdrom image you need:

	An INSTALL kernel with an embedded miniroot.

	A corresponding ofwboot.

	A bootblock.

You need to create a filesystem, populate it with ofwboot and
the INSTALL kernel.  Then install the bootblock on it.  This is
the image you need to feed to mksunbootcd or mkisofs to put into
the bootable partition.

Or you could grab ftp:/pub/NetBSD/arch/sparc64/kernels/cdimage.iso.gz
and see if it works.

Eduardo