Subject: buggy awk?
To: None <port-sparc64@netbsd.org>
From: Jarle Greipsland <jarle@uninett.no>
List: port-sparc64
Date: 10/18/2001 11:12:42
Hi,

I updated my sources and built current Oct 10th, but have since
not been able to rebuild -current.  I think I have tracked down
the problem, and the reason seems to be a buggy awk.  awk is
being used by several scripts (e.g. libedit/makelist) to generate
header files etc.  It seems like either string length
computations or substr extractions fail in some way.

For instance:

sparc64# echo "Discard_first_two_characters"|awk '{print substr($1,2);}'
Discard_first_two_characters

i386# echo "Discard_first_two_characters"|awk '{print
substr($1,2);}'
iscard_first_two_characters

Has anyone else seen the same behavior, or is it just me?
					-jarle