Subject: Re: network problem with netra t1 105
To: None <eeh@netbsd.org>
From: Jason R Thorpe <thorpej@wasabisystems.com>
List: port-sparc64
Date: 10/17/2001 08:44:54
On Wed, Oct 17, 2001 at 03:35:28PM -0000, eeh@netbsd.org wrote:

 > I think what's happening is that the hme has two separate media interfaces,
 > only one of which can be in use at a time.  A bit needs to be set to
 > select between the two of them, and that bit is set based on a probe that
 > determines the presence of the media rather than the presence of a carrier
 > on the media.  The NetBSD media framework really isn't set up for this sort of
 > situation, so it doesn't do a good job in selecting between the two
 > interfaces.

This doesn't really make sense at all... The OFW dumps clearly conflict
with this explanation (i.e. shows another HME device at PCI dev 3, which
NetBSD is for whatever reason not probing).  Also, my explanation is based
on the knowledge that some vendors do use a single serial bus to attach
a set of MAC,PHY devices.