Subject: Re: Netbsd on the UltraSparc
To: None <port-sparc64@netbsd.org, sha3134@alizarin.njit.edu>
From: None <eeh@netbsd.org>
List: port-sparc64
Date: 07/30/2001 18:45:46

| 	i have recently inherited a Sun UltraSparc 5 Workstation
| (UltraSparc IIi 333MHz). i would like to know the following:
|
| * does the port run well( how does it compare to i386)

My Ultra 1 is much more stable than my x86 box.

| * can i get it working as a desktop with gnome or kde without alot of
| pain?

No.

The 64-bit C++ compiler does not seem to work quite right so gnome
or kde will probably not build.  (Not to mention gnome and kde probably
have LP64BE bugs.)  Although, you could probably run it with 32-bit
binaries (NetBSD/sparc rather than NetBSD/sparc64),

The VGA and FFB frame buffers are not supported yet.  Xsun only supports
TGX (cgsix), which is a SBus card.  VGA and FFB require both frame buffer
drivers and X server support, which means someone with the hardware has to
get that stuff working.

Eduardo