Subject: booting Ultra1 from cdrom
To: None <port-sparc64@netbsd.org>
From: Criag Robinson <craig.robinson@durham.ac.uk>
List: port-sparc64
Date: 07/10/2001 17:45:09
Hi all,

I'm trying to boot an Ultra1 with only one disk. I don't have any other
Netbsd machines around (or the expertise) so am trying to avoid
netbooting. The FAQ says:

"If you have a CD-ROM in your Ultra Sparc you can fetch the ramdisk file
system image and burn that on a CD. Note: this is not a valid ISO image,
so you will need a CD-ROM mastering software that trusts you to know
what you are doing. Cdrecord on NetBSD will do."

Does the above mean that I can simply burn a CD with only the ramdisk.fs
on it, place it in the Ultra1's cdrom and type 'ok boot cdrom ' to get
started? Any guidance on the subsequent installation steps would be
appreciated, no matter how simple or apparently obvious, especially any
gotchas not mentioned in the install.txt.

Many thanks,

Craig Robinson.

School of Engineering
University of Durham