Subject: re: Build status...
To: Mason Loring Bliss <mason@acheron.middleboro.ma.us>
From: matthew green <mrg@eterna.com.au>
List: port-sparc64
Date: 05/14/2001 11:17:05

   Hello, all. For various odd reasons, I'm currently having a few problems
   with building the world.

   I can "make build" with DESTDIR pointed at /, but I run into stuff not
   being installed when I point DESTDIR elsewhere. Also, given my lack of
   ability to build libstdc++, I'm also cutting groff out of my builds.

you should not build gnu/lib/libstdc++.  that is for the OLD and borken
compiler.  the libstdc++ that comes with the "toolchain" (ie, /usr/local)
compiler should work for you and any groff build problems shouldn't exist.

   Has anyone recently gotten a -current build to go through with DESTDIR
   set to something other than /? I'm curious.

   FWIW, I'm running gcc version 2.95.2 19991024 (release).

   On a related note, another oddity I'm finding is that "print_version.h"
   isn't generated by "make build" - I need to build libcom_err and libasn1
   by hand and then "make UPDATE=1 build" for things to proceed. (The tree
   is clean other than libcom_err and libasn1 in this instance.)

   I haven't tracked any of this down yet. I'm just wondering how other
   folks are faring with -current builds.

i haven't done a build for a while, but this all used to work fine.  my
U1 is unable to run -current at the moment (see my PR) so i haven't
been able to upgrade for some weeks, even if it hadn't been turned off
for the past 3 :)