Subject: Off Topic/Sun Hardware recommendations
To: None <port-sparc64@netbsd.org>
From: John Hayward <John.C.Hayward@wheaton.edu>
List: port-sparc64
Date: 05/03/2001 15:24:18
Dear Spark People,
   We are going to be populating a 25 seat CS lab.  Initially I was
thinking of doing 25 PCs with 1.xGHz processors...
   Sun has a matching grant which allows one to purchase Sun Rays,
Sun Blades, Sun Ultras.
   The Sun rays appear to be X-Terminals and I would like to have more
compute power for typical activities in CS lab.
   The Sun Blade100 appears to have 500MHz sparc IIe processor.  It seems
reasonable.
   They also offer Sun Ultra 5, 10, 60 and 80.

   I figure you can get a reasonable PC with 19" monitor for 2k.

   I'm open for suggestions on what hardware would be best and still be
reasonably priced.

   Please reply to me as I'm not subscribed to the Sparc list (though we
do have NetBSD on Intel, VAX, MIPS systems).

TIA
johnh...