Subject: Re: sparc64 port quality
To: None <wojtek@wojtek.from.pl>
From: None <jchacon@genuity.net>
List: port-sparc64
Date: 03/06/2001 22:10:13

>have a few newbie questions:
>
>1) how much one could expect from this port.. i mean how stable it is

Except for some userlevel programs (ntpd and dhclient so far) I've had good
success running the system the same as any other NetBSD system.

>2) what's all that "tricks" with gcc for sparc64? and shared libraries

The in-tree gcc won't work for sparc64 so you'll need to grab a current
snapshot from ftp.netbsd.org:/pub/NetBSD/arch or cross compile one from
gnu/dist/toolchain.

>3) how does ultrasparc IIe compare to pentium II/III (not only computing
>but overall I/O performance too) - on netbsd of course

Someone with a 2e and a PC will need to answer here.

James