Subject: Re: cross-compiler
To: Eduardo Horvath <eeh@turbolinux.com>
From: Andrea Franceschini <andrea@cs.tin.it>
List: port-sparc64
Date: 09/01/2000 19:21:00
Eduardo Horvath wrote:

> On Wed, 30 Aug 2000, csnet wrote:
>
> > i tried to set up a cross-compiling environment on my FreeBSD Box,but i
> > got some problems.
>
> You're probably the first to try this from FreeBSD.
>
> > 1) gcc-2.95.2
> >
> > It was declared to not fully support sparc64 architecture.!!!
>
> That's probably true.
>
> > 2) ld (ctr0.o)
> >
> > After switching target of gcc from sparc64 to sparc i almost
> > successfully compile the compiler ,but  when it tries to build native
gcc-2.8.1.tar.gz > > version of libiberty.a i got the following error:

> You won't be able to execute anything native unless you have a SPARC V9
> machine.  Better configure it for cross compiling.
>
> > /disk2/cross-compile//sparc-unknown-netbsd/bin/ld: cannot open crt0.o:
> > No such file or directory
> >
> > I suppose it was looking for a native version of crt0.o
> > But crt0.o is supposed to be compiled within gcc ... or not?
> > Finally , how can i get this file?
>
> crt0.o is not part of gcc or the toolchain.  It usually needs to be
> provided by the OS or C library.  The NetBSD one is in src/lib/csu/ and
> has both architecture independent and architecture dependent bits.
>
> Eduardo Horvath

Thank you for the info.

After some hacking i succedded in compiling the compiler and all the
binutils,but the assembler is still unable to assemble sparc64
code even if it was compiled without error using sparc64 as target.

When i try to launch assembler i got :

Assembler messages:
FATAL: Can't create a.out: Invalid bfd target

In otherhand using sparc version all works fine...
So i'm wondering if the sparc64 support in binutils is working ....
ANd ,if not, where can i find a working assembler for sparc64?

Thanks!

(sorry for my english).