Subject: Re: cross-compiler for sparc64
To: Eduardo Horvath <eeh@turbolinux.com>
From: ali (Anders Lindgren) <dat94ali@ludat.lth.se>
List: port-sparc64
Date: 08/18/2000 14:47:06
On Thu, 17 Aug 2000, Eduardo Horvath wrote:

> It actually generates decent code, if you can get it to work 8^).  It has
> a nasty habit of aborting due to cc1 bugs.  (And C++ is much worse.)

Good thing I don't plan on using C++ then. :-) I've heard several
times that there are codegen bugs in gcc for 64bit sparc. A quick
look in the gcc GNATS database didn't reveal much (other than there
seeming to be huge problems with gcc on UltraSparc) -- does anyone
know how well documented these bugs are? I'd rather like to know
what to expect before I start writing any hairy interrupt-handling
code... :-)

> I recommend using the new in-tree toolchain.  It has numerous
> bugfixes.
>
> Grab everything in src/gnu/dist/toolchain.
>
> Go into the `toolchain' directory and run:
>
> 	contrib/egcs_update --touch
>

> Then create a subdirectory, say src/gnu/dist/toolchain/builddir and enter
> it.  Then to build a cross-toolchain:
>
> 	../configure --target=sparc64-netbsd

Is this likely to work with --target=sparc64-*-elf?
Anyhow, this should be good help, I shall have to try it out and
see how far I can get. Thanks!

> If you have a sparc64 you can build a native toolchain with:

No luck there. Although with a bit of luck I might be able to
help out some with the sparc64 port after this insane project[0][1]
of mine is over. That would be nice.

[0] My thesis
[1] From which I expect[2] to learn a whole lot about UltraSparcs
[2] Since I'll in fact be writing an experimental microkernel for the
    thingy. ;o)

--
/ali: Computer Science Major and aspiring cartoonist. :-)
(dept) dat94ali@ludat.lth.se - http://www.ludat.lth.se/~dat94ali