Subject: Re: Possibility of porting BSD to SPARC64(fujitsu) based systems
To: javi <mesamart@tobor.usc.edu>
From: Eduardo Horvath <eeh@turbolinux.com>
List: port-sparc64
Date: 05/02/2000 09:17:19
On Fri, 28 Apr 2000, javi wrote:

> extending the SPARC port to the 64bit SPARC64 line of processors. This is
> HALs own V9 implementation, and as far as I know is a bit different from
> sun's ULTRASPARC. I have a couple of such machines (HALStation 350), and I
> would like to get a more recent OS for them (HAL stop supporting them
> after Solaris 2.4). I was wondering if there are some one else with the
> same type of HW out there, or if there is anyone working on the port
> already.

I'm not aware of any work in this area, although you're wellcome to give
it a try.

The HAL CPUs are quite different from UltraSPARCs.  I expect the MMUs to
be significantly different, so pmap.c and lots of locore.s would need to
be rewritten.  And they probably don't support any of the VIS extensions
like block load/store.

The first step on such a project is to get the documentation on the CPU
and bus controllers.  Good luck.

Eduardo Horvath