Re: CG14 and 16bit colour

> Also, cg14 is pretty much freely programmable when it comes to video
> modes.  I've seen OF scripts to make it do 1920x1080.

Yes, it can do 1920x1080 - I'm typing this on one.  But I wouldn't call
it "pretty much freely programmable"; try to get an X resolution that
is not a multiple of 32 and, my experience indicates, you can expect it
to fail.  See
http://www.sunhelp.org/pipermail/rescue_sunhelp.org/2008-August/124772.html
for my report on experiments I did back in, well, August 2008.  The
last paragraph talks about the X resolution issue.  (The list archive
has mangled one of my OF scripts, but you can fix it up by replacing
"cgfourteen at 2" with "cgfourteen@2".)

> Most TFTs these days are bigger than 1152x900, native resolution just
> looks better than scaled.

Yes...but the bandwidth necessary to push analog video at native
resolution is impractical enough that you mostly have to go to DVI,
HDMI, or the like to get native resolution.  A cg14 can't have enough
framebuffer RAM to handle native resolution anyway in most cases.

(I still wish someone made a monitor with 24 - or 48, if you want
double-buffering - bits of RAM built into each pixel, rather than
internally generating a video scan signal, so it doesn't even _have_
scan rates, except at the video-signal interface.  Put the computer
on-board and you don't need to have even that.)

/~\ The ASCII				  Mouse
\ / Ribbon Campaign