Re: SPARCStation VSIMM

>>> With the 8MB VSIMM you can theoretically do 1920x1080 in 24bit.
>> No "theoretically" about it.  I run 24-bit-capable 1920x1080
>> routinely on the SS20 I have an 8M VSIMM in.  [...]
> Can you share what monitor and settings you use?

The setup words I use are

: Asus-VH236H 780 438 3c 8d9ee20 5e 0f 5e 0f 5e 0f ;
: LG-27EA33V 780 438 3c 80befc0 c0 3 130 2e 40 1 ;

for those two monitors.  I've also run into a third monitor which I
failed to find working settings for.  I have not taught either NetBSD
or any X server to poke the hardware to change video settings; all the
video setup is done from the NVRAM settings.  (I can babble a bit about
that if you like, but if you read my port-sparc mail of 2008-08-08
under the subject "SS20/cg14 custom resolutions" then it should be
clear what to do with the above.)

>> This _is_, though, with my cg14 ddx layer in the MIT X11-6.4p3
>> server.  [...]
> Is your code available somewhere?  I'd love to have a look at it!

What I have is patches to X11 R6.4 patchlevel 3.  I don't know whether
that distribution is still available; I got it from ftp.x.org in 1999.
It's included in the X11 directory below (in the DIST subdirectory).

It's all up on ftp.rodents-montreal.org:/mouse/local/src/X11,
specifically the stuff in patches/xc/programs/Xserver/hw/cg14 (there's
a little elsewhere, but that's almost all of it).  I even just now
updated it (it was close but needed a little fixing).  You can even
change to /mouse/local/src and fetch X11.tar and the FTP daemon will
tar it up for you.  (The resulting tarball is about 42.75 megs.)

I think an HTTP view is also available at
http://ftp.rodents-montreal.org/mouse/local/src/X11, but I don't know
whether bozohttpd will serve the various files with useful types, and
there's no auto-tarball there.

> I haven't managed to get acceleration to work.

My ddx layer has no acceleration.  One of my spare-time projects is to
look at what little open-source code uses the SX and learn how to use
it to accelerate the console and X to the extent it can.

/~\ The ASCII				  Mouse
\ / Ribbon Campaign