Re: OpenSSL issues with 9.2

On Mon, 31 May 2021 at 11:53, Matt Wallis <mattw%madmonks.org@localhost> wrote:
> > I did however open a ticket on the OpenSSL GitHub, and just had someone
> > comment that they were seeing the same issue on armv7 under Linux. He
> > did have a memory access failure in his backtrace that I did not see,
> > but it is
> > the same SIGABRT when assert (*wnumtop) == 0.
>
> https://github.com/openssl/openssl/issues/15536 if interested.

Nice - in that its
- another 32 bit platform
- Linux, so the issue is now less likely to be waves off as "maybe its
something in NetBSD"

In your place I would be tempted to switch back to 9.1 userland
(keeping the 9.2) kernel, pending an openssl fix.
I've done things like this before (when space is available).
1) extracting the earlier sets somewhere else on the system,
2) rsyncing them over /and then running a diff on the extracted vs
installed /lib (and then /usr/lib) to work out  what files need to be
removed (or run a second rsync -avn --delete after the main copy to
show what_would_ be removed).

The second step is in case one of the shared libraries has a new teeny
version. All of this is best done in single user, though obviously
with network up for NFS. As with all such fun, remember /rescue/
binaries if strangeness happens.

David