Re: SPARC packages availability for 9.0 and install report

Hi,

Tobias Ulmer wrote:
> On Tue, May 05, 2020 at 01:19:40PM +0200, Riccardo Mottola wrote:
>> I had issues with booting: CD-ROMs had issues... with several drives,
>> the old ones do not CD-RW but for some reasons I fought also with a
>> newer drive Plextor which reads then: I was able to boot NetBSD, but
>> then couldn't load the tarballs, getting SCSI erros on esp0.
> The original CD drive in my SS20 works fine on 9.0. It's slow (300KB/s)
> but steady.

Lucky you. Mine was enough for "booting" bot then did not find the rest
of the install, very strange.
Perhaps stupid ISO.. or it is not 100% reliable anymore. Or could depend
on the specific CD-ROM/Burner... I remember back then things were quite
tricky. Nowadays... new drives eat almost anything (except those pesky
slot-in drivers of older Macs).

I even have the original SUN external CDROM! that one worked... and is
the only thing for the SS4, SS10 or Sun IPC or other without drives.
Except the SS5 where the "cable" is inside, mine jsut hasn't one
mounted, so I borrwed a standard drive, the PlexWrite, but it in.

>> pkgin addition failed and it is now clear to me: there are no packages
>> for 9.0! only for 8.x series....
> Yeah, no packages. Build your own :)
> You can speed things up significantly using qemu. No need to torture
> the real thing.

Darn! I fear there are not some blocked. Could we provide them? It would
be so nice.

I will try building on real metal, the issue is having enough drive
space, the collection is huge now.
Not on the IPC of course, but maybe on the faster ones and then
"pkg_tarup" should help.

even with the available packages, I see a very big missingo ne for me:
subversion! there is git....

Riccardo