Re: Hyperstation 30 motheroboard

I can confirm that the Hyperstation-30 definitely supports 128MB
DSIMMs, Ross used that specific feature (1GB maximum RAM capacity),
amongst others, as a specific selling-point against the Sun SS20. I
suspect (but cannot confirm) that the slightly earlier Hyperstation-20
also supports 128MB DSIMMs too.

The Hyperstation-20 and Hyperstation-30 use the Ross RT523+RT521
System Controller chipset, not the Sun/TI SMC nor the Sun/TI EMC.

That same Ross chipset is used in the SPARCplug.

One of the interesting features of said chipset is
software-programmable MBus frequency - you can program eg:
50/60/66/70MHz MBus operating frequency using OBP commands. However,
only the later-rev Hyperstation-30 mobos can reliably run above 50MHz.

http://mbus.sunhelp.org/systems/ross/hs30.htm
http://mbus.sunhelp.org/misc/hsmb.htm

-- Mike Spooner