Re: NetBSD 8.0 Installer Boots to White on White Screen on SS 1

Hi,

On 1/11/19 10:05 AM, Robert Elz wrote:
     Date:        Thu, 10 Jan 2019 17:58:08 -0500
     From:        Henry Bent <henry.r.bent%gmail.com@localhost>

   | I assumed that sd(0,0,0)netbsd was what I wanted (for my disk at SCSI target 0)

Try sd(0,3,0) - some Sun boot proms did some strange mapping
between 0 and 3 (as I remember it - it has been decades) for some
weird hysterical reason...

(The 3 replaces the 0 in one of the positions...)    It will still be sd0
in NetBSD.

I remember such thing too.. I had a printed card until my SS2 worked to print out these aliases, I think too 0 and 3 where "switched" however not when using the "old" but the "new" settings.

I am really guessing, but I think you could type "new" and then get into Open Firmware (as compared to old Sun3 style monitor) and then devalias would work.

Sadly, my SS2 long passed away... however I have an IPC running NetBSD (just sometimes for fun) which is similar to yours. I use serial-console only since the framwebuffer was slow and newer Multisync monitors do not like the odd SUN frequency anyway dropping off some bottom lines.

I have a fine SS10 running NetBSD quite happily! however I am weary updating it to 7 or 8... it means a risk with the kernel and also a lot of pkgsrc building again...

I could dust out my SS5 (or SS4?) again and install NetBSD 8 on it! Yay!

Riccardo