Re: SparcStation 20 system freezes

Hello,

On Mon, 4 Dec 2017 15:26:46 +1100
Andrew Danson <ajdanson80%gmail.com@localhost> wrote:

> I have a Sparcstation 20 that I used to run NetBSD 4.01 on for quite a few
> years. I used to use it as a headless server, until I retired it when I got
> a keyboard, mouse and a cg6 frame buffer.
> Recently I decided to try out NetBSD 7.1 on it, but even during the install
> process I'd get what at first seemed like random system hangs. After
> resolving some hardware issues I managed to get the OS installed, but it
> would still hang after a period of time. I ran the system diagnostics and
> did some testing and the base hardware appears to be working.
> I have a SMP (3 processor) system which I'd heard wasn't always
> stable under load, but that seems ok as I can load up the processors
> with work as long as there isn't much disk I/O. This is repeatable.

SMP is still a bit sketchy but should be mostly stable on SuperSPARCs
by now. Is this reproducible on -current?
The reason I'm asking is, there were a bunch of SMP-related fixes in
the last few years, with the latest just a few days ago. I don't know
how much of that made it into the 7.x branches other than the last bit
certainly didn't.
That said, I've seen plenty of SMP-related crashes and deadlocks but
none that's correlated to disk activity. But my disk is external,
hooked to an hme/wide scsi board, not the onboard esp.

have fun
Michael