Re: Re (2): monitorless server; was Re: FTP server on a Sparc 2.

Hi,

> If the keyboard is unplugged, the EPROM will assume the serial console.
> And the kernel won't load the video driver.  Consequently, removal of the
> video card causes no problems for software.  The obvious benefit being
> that the machine will run cooler.

Even with serial console, the kernel device probes will detect and attach
the framebuffer (and keyboard, if serial console set and keyboard attached).
It just won't use them as the console input/output.  If you have a serial
console and no framebuffer, that will also be fine.

Another advantage of serial console is that you can always attach a terminal
if needed.  Also, remember that it's possible to force the console location
using `eeprom` (input-device and output-device [*]).

Thanks,

[*] Solaris supported input and output devices that weren't the same, e.g.
keyboard input plus serial output, but I'm fairly sure that only works on
Solaris.

--
   My other computer runs NetBSD too   -         http://www.netbsd.org/