Re: Making a partition bootable (SS10)

Riccardo Mottola <riccardo.mottola%libero.it@localhost> writes:

> What is the "boot" file? at first, I was about to mount my boot
> partition into /boot as used on linux, but that would have been a
> problem.

man boot, and man installboot.  /boot (the file) is the secondary
bootstrap, which loads the kernel

When you install /boot, you have to run installboot to put the primary
bootstrap at the beginning of the partition, and to embed the block
numbers of /boot in the primary bootstrap (since the primary is not
fs-aware).

> I tried to copy "netbsd" and "boot" into the other partition and boot
> from it, but it doesn't work. Fdisk writes the boot sectors on a
> "whole disk".

fdisk??    I would not expect fdisk to be used at all.

It seems "newer" sun4c can boot from larger disks.  I would think SS10
would be "newer", if not sun4m, but I've mostly played with ELC, IPC,
Classic, SS2, SS5.

Actually, the requirement is not that the fs be in the first part.  It's
that all the blocks in the /boot file be early enough that the prom's
read-a-block routine can read them.  So if /boot is written early on and
never updated, it will often work, because it ends up in a low cylinder
group.

Another approach is to make a separate / partition, and then swap and
/usr.