Re: din-8 serial cables [was Re: /etc/disktab on vax]

On Wed, Jun 27, 2012 at 06:10:23PM -0400, Mouse wrote:
> >> Is the SGI pinout for serial-on-miniDIN-8 the same as the Sun
> >> pinout?  [...fuzzy memory says no...]
>
> > Maybe this helps:
>
> > http://www.netbsd.org/ports/sgimips/faq.html#serialconsole
>
> Well, it seems ambiguous to me.  It says the pinout is the same, but
> then it says "as long as you are willing to do it without hardware
> handshaking lines", which sounds as though it may actually be "the data
> and ground pins are the same but the handshake lines are different".

Continue following one the links therein to the "NetBSD Serial Port
Primer" and it shows the actual pinouts, across multiple platforms:

http://www.netbsd.org/docs/Hardware/Misc/serial.html

Maybe that's clearer.  [disclaimer:  I'm not the author, only a
grateful consumer]

Cheers,
sr.