Re: ntpd wedged by libc?

On 3/8/2012 09:40, Christos Zoulas wrote:
On Mar 7,  9:41pm, agcarver+netbsd%acarver.net@localhost (AGC) wrote:
-- Subject: Re: ntpd wedged by libc?

| On 3/7/2012 18:58, Christos Zoulas wrote:
|>  On Mar 7,  5:14pm, hart%ntp.org@localhost (Dave Hart) wrote:
|
|>  | You might be able to expose the bug with t_printf.c by changing it to
|>  | generate and snprintf thousands of random floating point numbers.
|>  |
|>  That is what t_printf does... One million snprintf random numbers. Another
|>  thing to do is to run top while it is running to see if it grows...
|
| No change in top while it's running.  It stays at 3228K/804K(resident)
| the entire time.

So something else must be leaking. You said that with the c99 snprintf
it does not leak anymore? So that we've settled that this is snprintf/dtoa
related?

Correct, using the hand-coded snprintf replacement inside ntpd's code (activated by a configure switch) ntpd does not leak memory that I can tell. Other things that use libc appear to leak somewhat but I'm unsure what as the rate of leakage is slow on those processes.