Cross compiling a program

Is there a helpful document somewhere that describes the process of cross compiling a program for use under NetBSD/sparc?

I want to compile newer versions of gpsd but the project maintainers have switched away from configure scripts to python and SCons, neither of which will compile and install for NetBSD/sparc. I do have, however, several Debian/x86 systems that have working versions of both of those programs. I want to be able to compile gpsd on one of those Debian systems but generate a NetBSD/sparc binary.

Most of the documentation discusses cross compiling NetBSD itself (which I may do later if I can't figure out how to upgrade NetBSD in place, but that's a totally different effort that I'm having trouble following). I don't see anything about individual programs that are downloaded from source.