Re: Relabel disk?

On Fri, 2 Dec 2011, Mouse wrote:

> On SPARC?  AIUI, the ROM code loads the label, looks up the boot
> partition (all the ways of booting specify a partition, usually by
> default), loads the beginning of that partition (skipping sector 0 in
> case the partition begins at the beginning of the drive), and jumps to
> it.  I don't recall what controls how much of the partition is loaded;
> it may be fixed or it may be somewhere in the first sector or some
> such.  Someone else probaby knows...?

The sectors the PROM loads is fixed, always sectors 1 through 15 of the
boot partition.  I don't know what the really old stuff did, but newer
PROMs will take that 7.5KB of data and evaluate it for a known executable
format, be it a.out, ELF, or FCode.  On v9 machines that's usually FCode.
On older machines it's usually a.out or ELF.

Eduardo