Re: Another Tadpole 3GX question

On Apr 1, 2010, at Apr 1, 2010 1:07 PM, der Mouse wrote:

> As some of you may recall from when the display hinge broke, I have a
> Tadpole 3GX.  I've swapped CapsLock with left Control using wsconsctl
> (and, once I get X set up, will do whatever turns out to be necessary
> to get that effect in X too).
>
> There's a problem, though.  The keyboard has rollover, as one owuld
> expect, but it is very distinctly limited.  This is not a problem most
> of the time, but the button labeled CapsLock - the one I'm using as
> Control - appears to be part of the same encoding matrix as the rest of
> the keyboard, and holding it down while typing multiple letters
> sometimes generates spurious keystrokes.  (The particular instance that
> I trip over most often is that ^X^V, when typed without letting X up
> before pressing V, turns into ^X^T^V.)
>
> So, I was thinking of taking the keybaord off and cutting conductors
> and soldering as necessary to swap those two buttons at the electrical
> level rather than the software level.
>
> Any comments on the feasability of this?  Any particular cautions or
> other advice?

Try fixing it in the firmware?

I found this in an FAQ once upon a time, the attribution has long since been
lost:

Sparcbook III caps<->ctrl swap (in OBP)

How to swap the <Ctrl> and <Caps Lock> Keys

You must have:

OBP is .9 v1.0 (Checksum BA35)
Microcontroller is 1.31 (Checksum 059F)

To swap CAPS and L_CTRL:
Boot system and as soon as you see:

Boot device: --> then depress pause+a to get to the "ok" prompt

>ok 0077 4000 tuck w! 26000201 uc-cmd . (return)

0

ok 014a0100 4000 tuck l! 41000300 uc-cmd . (return)

0

(reset the system)

to swap them back:

Boot system and as soon as you see:

Boot device: --> then depress pause+a to get to the "ok" prompt

ok 0077 4000 tuck w! 26000201 uc-cmd . (return)

0

ok 014a0000 4000 tuck l! 41000300 uc-cmd . (return)

0

(reset the system)

--
Michael Parson