Re: native Xorg now used by default on some platforms

Hello,

On Dec 5, 2008, at 1:40 PM, der Mouse wrote:

I've added wscons support for CG3 (SBus) and BW2 (SBus and P4):
Does bw2 support a hardware cursor?

I'm fairly sure it does not.

I didn't really expect it to ;)

I think cg3 does ( same DAC as cg6 after all )

I don't think so, though I'm not as sure as I am of the bw2.

The DAC is only part of the cursor stuff.  The DAC is responsible for
multiplexing the cursor into the generated video stream, but it has to
be fed the data. I don't think the cg3 has the logic to feed it. Note
that the cg6 cursor location and bitmap stuff is in the THC; only the
colourmap aspects are in the Brooktree space.

You're probably right - I couldn't find anything in our or X11's code that would even attempt to do a hw cursor on the cg3. Too bad. Most other DACs I've seen so far either do the hw cursor completely by themselves or not at all - in that case the graphics controller does it and the bitmap usually resides in VRAM instead of DAC registers.

Anyway, an SS5 is on the way to me. No idea if it comes with an S24 or not. Just in case it does not - does anyone have an S24 board sitting around? I think I have enough docs and hints to make both an accelerated console and X11 work.

have fun
Michael