Re: Volume control buttons

                Hi,

On 2008-05-15, Michael Lorenz <macallan%netbsd.org@localhost> wrote:
> some Sun keyboards have keys to control audio volume and brightness -
> we could have them send PMF events instead and teach audio drivers to
> listen for them so volume control via keyboard would work out of the
> box without any additional voodoo.
> Any objections?

If you want to go this way, it should be enough to have them send PMF
events. I think it is more appropriate to let the user decide how this
should interact with the system. Moreover, mixerctl is easy to script
(see below).

My WindowMaker menu is currently intercepting the audio keys like this:
SunAudioLowerVolume => mixerctl -nw monitor.master-=2
SunAudioRaiseVolume => mixerctl -nw monitor.master+=2
SunAudioMute        => mixerctl -nw monitor.master=0

To me this looks better than directly teaching the audio drivers about
it.

HTH,
--
khorben