Subject: Re: LX keyboard trouble?
To: None <port-sparc@NetBSD.org>
From: der Mouse <mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
List: port-sparc
Date: 03/17/2007 22:41:15
> What if you set output-device=screen
> does that fix things when input-device=keyboard!

No.  Sorry, I should have mentioned that - that's one of the things I
tried.

> When you power cycle the LX with the keyboard plugged in, do you get
> the beep when it first powers up?

Beep from the keyboard?  No.  Hm, I'm not sure I do from the 5, either,
though the beeper in the keyboard works.  I'll have to experiment.  I
do get the two faint beeps from the LX itself, same as always.

> Do the lights flash?

What lights?

> If not, check the fuses on the motherboard.

It's not a problem with keyboard power.  First, the keyboard works for
input when I use ttya for output with "input-device=keyboard!"; second,
the visible LED on the mouse is lit.

> I think it might be possible that the serial connection works, if
> forced, while the prom may not realize the keyboard is there if it
> can't get power through.

In general, the PROM doesn't recognize keyboard presence if it can't
send it something and get something back.  This is why I suspected a
dead input or output driver (ie, failed in transit, because they both
worked when I had it at home), but input definitely works, and output
works enough to get the keyboard to send a reset ack and type byte.

> If that's not it, check the rom revs on your two lx's.  Perhaps the
> one on your working LX is newer than the one you're trying to use,

Hm, worth checking.  I'll have to look into that - while it would be
the only case I know of where a more-modern machine can't handle a
type-3, it's true Sun has left some surprising idiocies in some of
their ROM versions.

/~\ The ASCII				der Mouse
\ / Ribbon Campaign