Subject: Re: getty tty[a-b] doesn't work on a SS20
From: Nuno Pires <nmfp@mega.ist.utl.pt>
List: port-sparc
Date: 01/03/2007 01:11:45
On 2/jan/2007, at 20:38, Nuno Pires wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On my headless Sparcstation 20 I want to have a login prompt on the
> remaining serial port. The problem is that can't put getty to work
> neither on ttya nor ttyb. I've tested the system console on both ports
> and it works fine. I'm using NetBSD 3.1 with GENERIC.MP kernel.
>
> Am I forgetting something or can this be a bug?
>
> My /etc/ttys file:
> console "/usr/libexec/getty suncons"    vt102   on secure
> ttya    "/usr/libexec/getty std.9600"   unknown off secure
> ttyb    "/usr/libexec/getty std.9600"   unknown on secure

Adding the softcar (ignore CD) flag to the corresponding tty solved the
problem. I needed a reboot to get it to work.

> Result from "ps aux |grep tty[a-b]" (note the ? in getty ttyb's
> controlling terminal column):
> root  2119  0.0  0.1  36   684 ?     I     4:50AM 0:00.14
> /usr/libexec/getty std.9600 ttyb
> root  2611  0.0  0.2  52   792 ttya  Is+   4:35AM 0:00.23
> /usr/libexec/getty suncons console

I previously tried the softcar flag, signaled init with a HUP, and
killed the getty without controlling terminal. Even in those
conditions, the newly created (by init) getty didn't work. A "pstat -t"
revealed a terminal with state W where should be O. Why does this
happen, why did I needed a reboot?

Thanks again,
--
Nuno P.