Subject: Re: HDD-woes on Sparcstation 5
To: None <port-sparc@NetBSD.org>
From: Henry Nelson <netb@yuba.ne.jp>
List: port-sparc
Date: 11/20/2006 12:05:56
On Sun, Nov 19, 2006 at 10:18:06PM +0000, David Laight wrote:

> > > By taking the bottom 16 bits of number of fragments in a 'cylinder group'.
> >
> > I don't know what that means.  Perhaps an example, please?
>
> 'cpg' stand for cylinders per group, and is (was) the size of a cylinder
> group.  Recent changes to the way newfs works mean that 'cylinder groups'
> are no longer aligned on cylinder boundaries! so someone but the cylinder

I really think I need to start a new thread on another list, maybe "help"?

I don't see how the setting of "cpg/sgs" in the disklabel can be
a good situation if the value depends on "the way newfs works".  The
newfs command is run after the disk has been labeled.

So when creating a new disklabel, set "cpg/sgs" to "0"?  There really
needs to be something about this in the man page for disklabel(8),
because when creating a new label all the information one has at hand
is what the probe shows in dmesg and specs from the manufacturer.

--
henry nelson
  WWW_HOME=http://yuba(dot)ne(dot)jp/(tilde)home/