Subject: HDD-woes on Sparcstation 5
To: None <port-sparc@netbsd.org>
From: Victor Lagerkvist <plumsaren@gmail.com>
List: port-sparc
Date: 11/17/2006 19:26:44
Hello,
I've encountered a weird behavior with NetBSD 3.1 on my Sparcstation 5. First
of all, the hard drive is divided into three partitions: one for /, one for
swap and one for miscellaneous data. The disklabel that the slice uses looks
like this:

bock# disklabel -e /dev/sd0
# /dev/sd0c:
type: SCSI
disk: mydisk
label: SUN0535 cyl 1866
flags:
bytes/sector: 512
sectors/track: 80
tracks/cylinder: 7
sectors/cylinder: 560
cylinders: 1866
total sectors: 1044960
rpm: 5400
interleave: 1
trackskew: 0
cylinderskew: 0
headswitch: 0           # microseconds
track-to-track seek: 0  # microseconds
drivedata: 0

8 partitions:
#        size    offset     fstype [fsize bsize cpg/sgs]
 a:    500000         0     4.2BSD   1024  8192 41672
# (Cyl.      0 -    892*)
 b:    392000    522480     4.2BSD   1024  8192 39200
# (Cyl.    933 -   1632)
 c:    112000    914480       swap
# (Cyl.   1633 -   1832)
 d:   1044960         0     unused      0     0
# (Cyl.      0 -   1865)

If it looks a little funny, it's because I manually created the disklabel
since the normal installer that I tried first failed, and thus I just ran the
INSTALL-script which worked. Now the problem; just to see whether the second
partition worked as expected I tried the following:

bock# df -ha
Filesystem    Size      Used     Avail Capacity  Mounted on
/dev/sd0a     237M     175M       50M    77%    /
/dev/sd0b     186M     1.0K      176M     0%    /mnt

bock# du -m /usr/share/man #Just to see how much diskspace it occupied on sd0a
18      /usr/share/man

bock# cp -r /usr/share/man /mnt/

The first weird thing is that this simple procedure takes almost 10 minutes to
complete, the second is the diskspace it occupies on /dev/sd0b:

bock# df -ha
Filesystem    Size      Used     Avail Capacity  Mounted on
/dev/sd0a     237M     175M       50M    77%    /
/dev/sd0b     186M      87M       90M    49%    /mnt

bock# du -m /mnt/man
87      /mnt/man

What!? How's that possible? The "man" folder is the only folder on /mnt, and I
don't understand how it managed to grow over 4 times the original size. It
might also be worth to mention that I used "newfs" to create the filesystem
on /dev/sd0b. Might it be a sign that the disk is going bananas or is it just
a misconfiguration on my part?