Subject: Names [no longer Re: Seeking a laptop scsi disk...]
To: None <port-sparc@NetBSD.org>
From: der Mouse <mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
List: port-sparc
Date: 11/13/2006 11:58:56
> There is a history to this, of which you are perhaps not aware:-
> http://groups.google.com/group/lucky.openbsd.misc/browse_thread/thread/791d795e2915e05a/623ba081daaf72a4%23623ba081daaf72a4

Heh.  Especially since Theo is wrong - I actually consulted a real
lawyer about this.  Consider all the actors and muscians and such who
hold copyrights under their stage names, if you need additional
evidence.

As for public domain, as the original author, I have - at least as I
understand copyright law, and while admittedly on this point I have not
consulted a lawyer, I have never had anyone disagree with me - the
power to place anything I write in the public domain.  If Theo doesn't
want to believe that I've done so despite my explicit statement to that
effect, well, that's his problem.

> So psychologically what prompted the writing of the original email?
> Is it really necessary to deride others who choose to use a nickname?
> What is actually offensive?

I've never quite figured out what got Theo's knickers in a such a twist
in the first place myself.

But if core thinks NetSD would be better off without me - whether
because of my name or whatever - then I'm perfectly willing to leave.

/~\ The ASCII				der Mouse
\ / Ribbon Campaign