Subject: Re: Sparcbook 2: WARNING: TOD clock not initialized -- CHECK AND RESET THE DATE!
To: None <port-sparc@NetBSD.org>
From: der Mouse <mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
List: port-sparc
Date: 08/31/2006 11:48:56
> This morning, my SparcBook failed to boot with the message "WARNING:
> TOD clock not initialized -- CHECK AND RESET THE DATE!"  I'm not sure
> what to do, and want to avoid a reinstall.  I know this is Y2K
> related and so have four questions:

Well, I've never looked at this on a SPARCbook.  But I've seen it often
enough on desktop machines.  In my experience it is *not* Y2K related,
but, rather, indicates that the NVRAM battery has gone dead enough that
it can no longer maintain NVRAM contents.  That it waited until 2006 -
over six years since Y2K - to happen to you also argues that it's not a
Y2K problem.

Before worrying about Y2K issues, I would try to find out what a
SPARCbook uses to preserve PROM-level settings - the analog of the
NVRAM on a desktop - and get a replacement, or do (the analog of) the
add-your-own-battery trick that works so well for desktop machines with
flat NVRAM batteries.

/~\ The ASCII				der Mouse
\ / Ribbon Campaign