Subject: X on Sparcbook
To: None <port-sparc@netbsd.org>
From: Manish Gupta <ml_gupta@hotmail.com>
List: port-sparc
Date: 08/08/2006 10:39:19
Recently, I decided to dust off my SparcBook 3GS to put it to some use.
Earlier, I had NetBSD 1.6 running on it. X worked great with that version.
However, devices like audio were not supported. I was excited to learn that
the current contains drivers for audio. So, I went ahead and installed
latest NetBSD (3.0.1), and recompiled the current kernel (I used TADPOLE3GX
as config file and I used CVS to download the latest sources). The machine
boots great and the audio works fine. I was excited to see that PCMCIA also
started to work. However, no matter what I did X would not work.

Finally, I decided to compile the whole X. I downloaded all the sources
from:
ftp://ftp.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD/NetBSD-current/tar_files/xsrc

24 hours later the compilation was successful, however X still would not
work. I kep getting the following error:
-----------
$ startx
xauth: (argv):1:  bad display name "idefix:0" in "list" command
xauth: (stdin):1:  bad display name "idefix:0" in "add" command

_XSERVTransSocketOpenCOTSServer: Unable to open socket for inet6
_XSERVTransOpen: transport open failed for inet6/idefix:0
_XSERVTransMakeAllCOTSServerListeners: failed to open listener for inet6
X connection to :0.0 broken (explicit kill or server shutdown).
xauth: (argv):1:  bad display name "idefix:0" in "remove" command
$
---------

I  did some research and found that if I were to link X to XFree things
should work:
http://my.opera.com/Macallan/blog/index.dml/tag/SPARCbook

However, I do not seem have XFree in /usr/X11R6/bin.

Did I do anything wrong while compiling X? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Manish

"An informed citizenry is the bulwark of a democracy"
http://www.SUNITI.org : Self-governance for an informed citizen