Subject: Re: Beautiful Sparc, take 2
To: None <port-sparc@netbsd.org>
From: Harri Haataja <realblades@gmail.com>
List: port-sparc
Date: 08/06/2006 15:19:14
On 30/05/06, Timo Schoeler <timo.schoeler@riscworks.net> wrote:
> >> here's some more stuff on other archs (PowerPC, MIPS, x86, etc.), a
> >>
> >> http://mail-index.netbsd.org/port-macppc/2005/03/12/0000.html
> >
> > nice! I own a Indigo=B2 and a PowerMac 7600 too, very nice machines.
>
> yip. i have a bunch of sgis here. not intending to start an off-port
> discussion, the MIPS machines /feel/ much faster than any (comparable,
> at least this is what the appropriate vendor's datasheet says) USII
> based machine, as my U2E. especially wrt Octane.

Is that with Irix? There's definitely something funny in those. The
8-bit screens work nice, you can't feel the load hits as anything
except the overloading process(es) getting slower etc. The downright
nicest user experience I've had UI-wise probably came from my dear
2xR10k Octane. The outdated/misguied wimp gui puts some hit on that as
I've since moved to a tiling world, but still.

> > You
> > also own one of the early RS6000, keep it, cool hardware.
> well, yes, i like seeing progress on the port-prep and related ports. i
> like PowerPC ;)

I gave up mine (7012, 7006, Indy, I2, Octane, NeXT, 700RX) along with
the sgi's eventually. There just wasn't enough room and time and power
and energy. I miss them all already. There's still an SS5, SS1+ and a
715/80 left, doing nothing much atm. *sigh*

--=20
it's  a matter of balance, i find.  if you write the code without thinking
through the design you are doomed, except for very trivial tasks.  if you t=
hink
through the design, and think, and think, and never code then you may have =
had
fun but don't end up with a program.            -- Bruce Ellis, on 9fans