Subject: Re: scsi question with sparcstation.
To: der Mouse <mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
From: John Gould <johng@powinv.co.uk>
List: port-sparc
Date: 06/26/2006 08:39:11
On Sat, 24 Jun 2006, der Mouse wrote:

>> SCA drives are un-terminated, the termination is provided by the SCSI
>> backplane,
>
> Well, depending on the enclosure.

Well, yes as there's no termination on the drive!

>> the ID is provided by the position on the SCSI bus.
>
> This is not true - or at the very least, is not always true.  I have
> one machine with two SCA drive bays; one is ID 1, the other ID 3, in
> each case regardless of what other IDs may be present on the back-panel
> connector or whether the other slot is populated.

The point is the ID is provided by the backplane that the SCA drive is
plugged in to NOT physical links on the drive! Hence the ID of the drive
will change with the connector it is plugged into in the SS5. Of course
the ID comes through pins on the 80 pin SCA connector.
And, yes the ID's in the SS5 are 1 and 3, correct!