Subject: Re: is it hardware or software thats broken?
To: der Mouse <mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
From: John Nemeth <jnemeth@victoria.tc.ca>
List: port-sparc
Date: 06/25/2006 14:28:53
On Oct 10,  4:04am, der Mouse wrote:
}
} > Suns have ECC memory, which is much more "robust" than PeeCees.  Most
} > memory errors are detected and corrected, rather than silenty causing
} > problems with running processes.
}
} Saying this is true of "Suns" is a bit misleading.  There probably are
} Suns that won't work without ECC memory.  Some support it but will work
} with basic parity memory.  Some will even take non-parity memory.  I
} don't know all the combinations, but I am quite sure that there are
} Suns that don't do ECC, and some that do ECC if you put ECC memory in

     The 4cs I've used fit this category.  They do parity only.

} them but will work with other memory.
}
} (I don't know which kind the SS5 is.)

     Having worked with the SS5, I believe it is parity only.

     Anything intended to be a server most likely has ECC.  Things
intended to be a desktop could be either (i.e. an SS5 is parity only,
but an SS20 is ECC -- uses same memory as Ultra 1/2).  On the other
hand, I'd be very surprised if you found a Sun didn't do parity at a
minimum.  Machines that don't have any kind of memory protection is one
of my peeves with the PC/Mac world.

}-- End of excerpt from der Mouse