Subject: Re: is it hardware or software thats broken?
To: Julian Coleman <jdc@coris.org.uk>
From: Paul (NCC/CS). <pts@bom.gov.au>
List: port-sparc
Date: 06/20/2006 18:03:46
Julian Coleman wrote:

> > During build of clisp, it got up to dependency "pcre-6.6"
> > then the same thing happened again.
>
> When I did a bulk build for sparc64, one of the packages paused the build (I
> ran it backgrounded), so I had to bring it to the foreground to make it
> continue before backgrounding it again.  I'm fairly sure that it's pcre
> that did this.  Does the shell think that it still has jobs running?  (Try
> typing `jobs` and `fg`).  It might also be useful to look at the build log
> file - this is the work/.work.log file in the package build directory.

thats interesting indeed.

it's gone now, else i would. i typed exit and then cd'd to pcre directly
and typed make. this time it worked.

since it happened to you as well perhaps it's a bug in pkgsrc.

or it's also conversely possible that you also have slightly flakey
hardware.

i've been reading the signal 11 faq, very interesting.

i don't think any machine is black and white perfect.
there are so many things that can go wrong.

it's  shades of degradation. in my box the shades may be getting
grayer.

the work.log i did look at.
nothing in it to say what happened.
it just seemed to stop dead.

perhaps i'll make clean and build it (pcre) again via clisp build
to try jobs and fg.

p.

> --
>   My other computer also runs NetBSD    /        Sailing at Newbiggin
>         http://www.netbsd.org/        /   http://www.newbigginsailingclub.org/

Paul
Australian Bureau Of Meteorology

"In a world without walls and fences,