Subject: Re: scsi question with sparcstation.
To: Paul (NCC/CS). <pts@bom.gov.au>
From: Timo Schoeler <timo.schoeler@riscworks.net>
List: port-sparc
Date: 06/20/2006 08:09:25
thus Paul (NCC/CS). spake:
> Andy Ball wrote:
>
>> Hello Paul,
>>
>>   PTS> Is there a limit on the type of scsi drive you can
>>      > put into an SS5?
>>
>> I have been told that the SPARCstation 5 SCSI bus is fast
>> (10 MHz), narrow (8-bit) and electrically single-ended.  Any
>> drives that you add would need to be able to adapt to that
>> kind of bus.
>

> ok so if it's a more modern standard it won't work yeah?

if it's appropriately attached, it should work. i have a modern U160 HD
in my SS20, and it correctly downgrades itself to fast, narrow, SE SCSI.

regards,

--
Timo Schoeler | http://riscworks.net/~tis | timo.schoeler@riscworks.net
RISCworks -- Perfection is a powerful message

There are 10 types of people in the world. Those who understand binary
and those who don't.