Subject: Re: scsi question with sparcstation.
To: None <port-sparc@NetBSD.org>
From: Andy Ball <andy.ball@earthlink.net>
List: port-sparc
Date: 06/20/2006 00:59:26
Hello Paul,

  PTS> Is there a limit on the type of scsi drive you can
     > put into an SS5?

I have been told that the SPARCstation 5 SCSI bus is fast
(10 MHz), narrow (8-bit) and electrically single-ended.  Any
drives that you add would need to be able to adapt to that
kind of bus.

  PTS> One disk worked fine.
     > The others not at all. I was surprised.  In the case
     > of these probe-scsi showed nothing detected.

I would probably have to pull my SPARCstation 5 apart (or at
least look at some diagrams) to understand where you
connected your drives. My first thought was that termination
built into the SCA backplane might be the issue, but perhaps
you have disconnected that.

Out of interest have you tried each drive individually,
perhaps connected via the external SCSI port? What makes and
models of drive are you using?

- Andy Ball